Friday, March 1, 2013

Legacy References

Hello! This page is going to detail all of the references (Easter eggs, even) that I've put into this legacy. When I read some legacies and see a familiar name, scenario, place, etc. I'm sometimes left wondering, "Is that a reference to _____ or am I just grasping?"

I've drawn inspiration from things that I like and I try to put those into the legacy as much as I can - even if it's something as simple as a name. I thought it might be fun to keep all of these references in one place, so anyone interested can know once and for all where each thing came from - if it even came from anywhere! Some of it is totally random and sometimes I rely on nothing more than my own imagination. I hope you all enjoy reading these as much as I've enjoyed injecting them into my legacy as much as I can without it being too obvious/weird. I'll update this page as new things get put in, so check back!
 

The Family Name
Kilgannon refers to the surname of the family featured in The Amory Wars, a comic book series written by Claudio Sanchez of Coheed and Cambria. I won't be following any sort of plotline or scenario with this family that has anything to do with the series, though I may use some of the names of the characters. I just wanted to pay a small homage to one of my favorite bands - plus I really like the name.

The First Names

Atticus was named after Atticus Finch from To Kill a Mockingbird.
Brendan was named after the main character in the movie Brick.
Astrid was named after Astrid Magnussen, the main character in Janet Fitch's White Oleander - one of my favorite books.
  
Chapter Names
Chapter 1.3: The Growing is a play on words- it refers to the song The Crowing by Coheed and Cambria. I thought it worked well with the theme of the chapter - not only is the house growing, but the family is growing and Amity is growing as well.

Chapter 1.4: So it Goes is a reference to Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse-Five.

Chapter 1.5: Time Consumer is another Coheed and Cambria song.

No comments:

Post a Comment